Monday, February 21, 2011

Sara's story: themed housing at Virginia Tech

By Sara, a student in the College of Science
Major: Biology

Video (below): Michelle, Admission Advisor Michelle shares her experience with The WING, themed housing for incoming freshmen.


When I got accepted to Virginia Tech, I immediately began planning activities for my freshman year, as I was now officially a Hokie. I grabbed my computer and started to explore the Virginia Tech website, researching everything from intramural sports to where the best sandwich is made on campus. I stumbled across housing and residence life and noticed a tab called “themed housing.” I had never heard anything about “themed housing” from any of the ten colleges I applied to earlier that year so I decided to check it out. Hours later, I submitted my application to become a member of the Residential Leadership Community (RLC) and the rest is history.

My first class of freshman year was my leadership class in which my professor asked us, “What is a good leader?” We debated over the many answers to this seemingly simple question for the rest of the year. Not only did the RLC expand my problem solving skills and force me to debate with my peers, it brought the learning experience outside of the classroom. Virginia Tech Relay for Life, The Big Event, The International Street Fair, and Gobblerfest were only a few of the events on campus where the RLC as a whole was an active participant. Volunteering on Saturday mornings with the YMCA of Blacksburg with 200 other RLC members was one of the most rewarding experiences of my freshman year. This community provides the university and its students with endless possibilities. I am very fortunate to have been a member of the RLC and was given the opportunity to give back to the citizens of Blacksburg, Va.


Whether you join the RLC or one of the dozen other themed housing options, it will be a great way to expand your horizons while a student at VT. From the first day of my college career, students that shared similar values and interests about leadership surrounded me. Through the RLC, I was able to become involved in other organizations on campus and make the most of my four-year experience as a Hokie. The RLC provided me with the tools I needed to become a successful leader at Virginia Tech.


---
Michelle, Admission Advisor
Michelle shares her experience with The WING, themed housing for incoming freshmen.




More info:

College of Science

No comments:

Post a Comment